Wednesday 22 March 2017

Annual Privilege Coupon for WOMEN :)

I step out wearing a dress with my lips painted red,
Doesn’t she look a little slutty, they murmur..


I have coffee with a guy, hang out with my male colleagues,
They do not take a second to question my character..


I shouldn’t be so friendly & comfortable with men unknown,
But marrying a complete stranger is tradition they tell me..


What’s wrong with single women having a sexual partner I ask,
They call my freedom of thought something too immoral..


If I sleep with someone, what I actually lose is my virginity,
But they relentlessly blame me for I lost my honour too..


Men I work with, want me to give everything my best shot,
But they reduce me to just nothing dare I speak my mind..


My salary cheques are testimony to my hard work & potential,
But they laugh at the mere idea of me managing my money..


I want to make my career and marry post the age of 30 I say,
Too much ambition is not good for girls they remind me..


When I put my foot down against the concept of dowry,
They gasp at how huge a burden I am on the entire family..


If I decide to be a mother and working woman at the same time,
They ridicule me for my total disregard for motherhood..


When I say I wish to be a home-maker post marriage & kids,
They openly mock my supposed lack of aim in life..


Whether I work or not, my home should be my first responsibility,
This doesn’t apply to my husband though, is what they say..


I must wear the vermillion as a mark of a wedded woman,
The husband having an affair, is not a big deal I am told..


My vagina has the ability to give birth to a human being,
But when it bleeds each month, I am impure, they declare..


If I am carrying my husband’s child, I should proudly flaunt,
But physical marks of his abuse must be under cover I am warned..


It doesn’t matter if I am thin or fat, doesn’t matter if I am fair or dark,
They never miss out on a single opportunity to body shame me..


Every day I am insulted, mocked, abused, tortured, raped,
But keeping shut is what preserves my dignity they say..


I ask for the liberty to live my life that way I wish to,
But they constantly tell me what to wear and how to live..


When I tell them these shackles suffocate me a bit too much,
You were born to live in bondage, is what they retort with..



I have an yearly coupon that comes with a 24-hr expiry though,
I am showered with love & gifts, my existence celebrated,
They give me the privilege to feel happy & special for a while,
I don’t need it but they give me an annual “Women’s Day.”

1 comment: